Bookmark and Share

Biltmore Hats: A Major Part of Guelph's Industrial History: From Beginnings to 1930

Bonnie Durtnall 0 1034 Article rating: No rating

In 1917, Fried Grill Hats arrived in Guelph. Their owners, John Fried and Mr. Grills had previously operated out of Niagara Falls and Toronto. By 1919, the company had settled in premises located at 154 Suffolk Street. Thirty hands were at work producing various types of hats. A year later, they sold the business at the price of $45,000 to be paid over 6 years. This was the beginning of one of Guelph's longest operating companies - Biltmore Hats.  It was not to close until  2011.

Keeping In Tune: The Bell Organ and Piano Company

Bonnie Durtnall 0 933 Article rating: No rating

Bell Organ and piano were once one of the largest employers in Guelph. Founded in 1864, they remained a viable concern until they were finally closed in 1934. In fact, Bell pianos were found in parlours around the world. Queen Victoria was the proud owner of one of their models. The employees suffered a variety of blade-related accidents common to factories where machinery was not guarded. This lead to the formation of the Piano Workers' Union in 1902 - the first of its kind in Canada. 

The Rise And Fall of Gilson Manufacturing Company Ltd.

Bonnie Durtnall 0 1201 Article rating: No rating

Townhouses are being built on the land at 249 York Road between Morris and Huron Streets. Beyond the tracks that subdivides the land is a parking lot. This property was once home to the Gilson Manufacturing Co. From 1906 to 1977, the plant produced a variety of items beginning with gas engines and ending up with a full line of washers and freezers. During its long life, it went from being a minor Canadian subsidiary of an American Firm - the Gilson Manufacturing Co. of Port Washington, Wisconsin, launched in 1850 by Theodore Gilson, to being a nationally recognized Canadian owned and operated company.

W C Wood Strike 1959

Bonnie Durtnall 0 767 Article rating: No rating

W.C Wood’ is best known as a manufacturer of freezers. It relocated from Toronto in 1941, setting up shop on Woolwich Street. During WWII, Wood’s produced parts for aircraft and tails for bombs. After the war, the company went back to manufacturing freezers, adding portable units as well as coolers.


The company moved to Arthur Street in 1955, taking over the old Taylor-Forbes Plant. Between 1955 and 1967, they produced bulk milk coolers and bottle cappers as well as freezers. In addition, using designs of the old T-F Company, they produced wood clamps, clothesline pulleys, barn and home ventilators and oat rollers. On April 3, 1959, one of Guelph's most vicious strikes began. It was to drag on almost a year.

Under The Big Top: The Circus In Guelph

Bonnie Durtnall 0 1124 Article rating: No rating

In 19th century, one source of entertainment was the Circus. When it came to town, offices and businesses closed so everyone could at least watch the parade through the centre of town. This was free, making it affordable to even the poorest in town. In Guelph, working, middle and upper classes alike went to see exotic animals, unusual inventions and strange people. 

Guelph's first circus came to town around 1849. One of the most famous circus of this Golden Age, Barnum's, arrived first by road in 1852 and later in 1874 by train. Train allowed circuses to move more freely. It also made it possible for those who lived around Guelph to quickly make their way to town.

«December 2021»
Labouring All Our Lives   |  Privacy Statement